What is moving & handling?
We refer to moving and handling as the need to move freely around our environment. Sometimes the ability to complete this independently can be compromised temporarily or permanently due to illness or injury for example. It is when assistance maybe required that a moving and handling occupational therapist can help. Some of the activities a moving and handling expert may be involved in are advising carers on the safest way to support movement, recommending specialist equipment such as hoists and beds or developing more formal bespoke training and risk management plans.
We aim to provide relevant and timely advice on moving & handling issues in our client's own home. The assessment involves looking at the environment as well as the client and carer needs to ensure the recommendations we make are practical and achievable. Our collaborative approach with the client at the centre involves working with other professionals (case managers, therapists) family members and carers to ensure risks are identified and managed. We also ensure all moving & handling techniques are in line with current legislation and best clinical practice.
Why use The OT Practice to provide moving & handling advice?
- We provide expert advice from the moment you first call us. Our moving & handling enquiries are answered by our office based, experienced occupational therapists who provide a free consultation to ensure we are the right service for you, your client or family member.
- Using us allows rapid access to expert occupational therapy moving & handling services avoiding long NHS or Social Service waiting lists.
- We have a nationwide team of expert moving & handling occupational therapists and will select the best therapist based on location and clinical need.
- Our packages of care are provided into client’s own homes meaning that advice is realistic based on the environment and resources available.
- We have established relationships of experienced companies to provide support with moving & handling equipment trials or purchases to make the process as easy as possible for you.
- We provide an all inclusive cost to ensure that our services are fully transparent from the start.